Little Minx. Poppity Goblet. Sausage. Boo-boo. Pussycat.

Fastidious. Minor weakness for bananas and berries. Intrigued by her own nasal cavities. Likes a wander. Bossy boots. Considerate to soft toys. Enjoys a good lick of the coe-woe before bedtime. Furtive ice cube thief. Says Chinese words. With an English accent. Snores (gently). Lacks canines. A bloody genius.

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

Messages(smilies)

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Rose by Any Other Name


Most nights, as we are both settling in to bed for the night, Saffron, licking her coe-woe, lapses into her thoughful trance. With her eyes still wide open, she's physically there, snuggled up next to me, but her thoughts are miles away. Very often the most obscure memories are recalled and sometimes if I'm lucky enough, she shares them with me.

Last night, she broke the pensive (her), drowsy (me; on flu medication) silence with a "Mummy? Why did you name me Saffron and not Cinderella?". Even in my drugged-out stupor, I could tell she was dead serious. So I muttered something about Saffron being easier to call out, being 2 syllables shorter than Cinderella; how she looks more like a Saffron than a Cinderella (I don't think she took very well to this point); Daddy and I don't really like the name Cinderella, we far prefer Sleeping Beauty, as a matter of fact; and most important of all, now that she's about to start Reception Year in September, Saffron is much easier to spell and write than Cinderella.

Just as I was about to fall smugly back into my pillow, thinking I had fielded the question quite well, all things considered, Saffron declared, "I am going to change my name to Saffron Cinderella. Call me Saffron Cinderella, Mummy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home